Saint George Ukrainian Catholic Church has been serving the Ukrainian community since 1905. Under the carefull guidance of the fathers of the Order of Saint Basil the Martyr, Saint George is one of the largest and most magnificent Ukrainian Catholic Churches in North America.
The architectural style and design of our church is in the Greek Orthodox Byzantine tradition, with ornate icons, mosaics, and images.
Over the years, thousands of visitors from all over the world have visited our sanctuary to partake in solemn liturgy. With masses in both Ukrainian and English, Saint George has expanded its services to congregants and visitors well beyond that of the Ukrainian Community. We welcome all to our parish!
Located in the heart of the East Village in New York City, Saint George has played an important role in the growth of its community. As a beacon of light for various waves of immigrants from Ukraine moving to New York City, we have provided a home and spiritual shelter for thousands of people for over 104 years.
Since 1940, the Basilian Fathers of Saint George along with the church and its members continue to operate, administer, and support our St. George Schools. Our Saint George Elementary School includes grades Pre-K through 8 and our Academy grades 9-12. Both schools have distinguished themselves as superb academic institutions offering excellence in education centered in solid Christian values and morals. For more information about our schools, visit the school web site at www.saintgeorgeschools.org.
In October of 2005, our parish celebrated its 100 year anniversary. With a series of liturgies, a theatrical program under the direction of the internationally renowned actor and director, National Artist of Ukraine, Ivan Bertnatsky, and finally a 100 year banquet with Ukrainian songs and dance presented by St. George Academy, congregants came together to mark this sacred anniversary. The photo shown here was taken during the sacred 100 year liturgy which included Basilian fathers from as far away as Rome and our Bishop of the Stamford, Connecticut Diocese, Most Rev. Bishop Basil Losten.
For more information about our church, please feel free to call us at (212) 674-1615.